Activities from Home
Are you stuck at home with nothing to do? Luckily there are lots of ways you can keep busy with activities, resources, and courses online. Here are a few of our favourites:
Mental Health & Self Care
- Wellness App: Headspace is publishing some meditation, sleep, and movement exercises for free.
- Managing Mental Health During a Pandemic Course: This free, 3 hour, beginner level program focuses on managing your mental health during a pandemic.
- Home Meditation on Instagram: Every Saturday is a meditation program anyone can participate in.
- 5 Tips for Surviving COVID: This article from the Cerebral Palsy Foundation includes several good ideas.
- Coping During a Pandemic: Calgary’s Child has several great tips for managing your stress during COVID and other difficult circumstances.
- Yoga for Beginners: This is a relaxed, beginner-friendly YouTube channel. If you need something more advanced, The Cut lists the best free online yoga classes.
- Yoga for Kids: Cosmic Kids Yoga has an even friendlier and simple approach to yoga. It’s very positive and easy to follow along.
- Fitness Videos: A collection of more than 500 free fitness videos and routines that can be sorted by skill level, length, or equipment. The CBC also lists several other free resources for staying in shape at home.
- Instagram Dance Lessons: Videos are posted every day from City Dance Corps for a different style of dance.
Learning & Skills
- Frank Lloyd Wright Architectural Tours: Each Thursday at 1 p.m. Eastern time (11 a.m. MST), many public Frank Lloyd Wright sites will share #WrightVirtualVisits via their social media. These short videos introduce sites to new audiences and provide interesting and informal glimpses into their design, history, and more.
- Edmonton Archives Virtual Exhibits: Learn more about Edmonton’s history with these virtual exhibits. Topics include the first schools, life during World War 1, and the start of Halloween in Edmonton.
- Museum of Modern Art Courses: A selection of free online classes on contemporary art, fashion, design, and photography.
- Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Art Courses: The Connect Through Art Studio from Home video series covers some basic art skills and background on art history.
- Cooking Lessons for Kids: Every week day at 11am MST, Delish will be hosting a live Instagram video for how to cook a kid-friendly recipe.
- STEM Projects: It’s time to do some experiments! These kid-friendly exercises from KiwiCo are great for those with an big sense of curiosity.
- Video Courses: This YouTube channel by CrashCourse features lessons on topics from Astronomy to History and Anatomy, sorted by subject.
- Disney Imagineering in a Box: Do you love visiting Disney parks? They’ve put together a learning series to show you what goes into making one of the most magical places on earth.
- Daily Experiments: Every day a new activity or experiment! Check out the Telus World of Science on YouTube for the latest video.
- Craft, Cooking, and Exercise Videos: The Calgary Society Of Community Opportunities has started making videos that explore a little bit of everything.
- Cool Webcams: It’s time to go on a field trip! The AAC has put together a great list of virtual tours, covering everything from the Vancouver Aquarium webcams (we like to watch the otters) to the port of Quebec City or even the International Space Station.
- Virtual Tours: This document lists several fantastic virtual tours for all sorts of interesting locations.
- 40 Activities to do from Home: Still not sure what to do to keep busy? This big list from Reader’s Digest will help you out.
- City of Calgary At Home Activities: Keep active, healthy, and have fun at home! Each week, they add different ideas and activities to keep children and families connected, engaged, and active while at home.